Bertolucci's Ristorante in South San Francisco was founded by the Bertolucci Family in 1928. It was originally a boardinghouse where Mama Bertolucci cooked family style meals for steel workers. The large Italian eatery soon became an institution attracting diners from all over the Bay Area. Mama Bertolucci eventually turned the business over to her son, Larry and daughter, Lola. They operated the restaurant and continued the Italian tradition until 2003 when they retired.
Peter Sodini had fond memories of Bertoluccis. Peter grew up working for his father's bakery, Cuneo in North Beach . During that time, he delivered bread to Bertolucci's and was impressed with it's grandeur. Peter eventually went on to start Golden Boy Pizza in San Francisco in 1978. Over the years, Peter, along with his father, and family opened several more Golden Boy Pizza restaurants throughout San Francisco. In 1992, Peter and his wife, Victoria purchased Green Valley Restaurant in North Beach . The Sodini's restored the old building and turned the restaurant into the thriving, popular North Beach establishment it is today.
In June, 2005 Peter noticed that Bertoluccis was for sale. He knew this was the opportunity of a lifetime. He sold Sodini's Green Valley restaurant to his brother and purchased Bertoluccis. The Sodini's remodeled and updated the old building. They were careful to retain the original style and charm, and reopened as Bertolucci's on December 3, 2005.
Bertolucci's serves traditional Italian cuisine, derived from their Tuscan roots. Their belief has always been to serve simple, hearty and fresh food. The mural that greets you at Bertolucci's reflects their strong family traditions: Sempre In Famiglia - Always In The Family.